|Job Title||EMT - Basic*|
|Location||Bronx,NY*||*Position is based out of Bronx, NY|
|Reports to||Field Supervisor, Operations Manager|
|Shifts hiring||Full-time, Night Shift, Weekends, Part-time|
ACCOUNTABILITY: The EMT-B is qualified in basic prehospital emergency care and services by a competency-based educational program of clinical, didactic, and practice. The EMT-B is licensed to operate an emergency vehicle and provides prehospital basic life support (BLS). The standard of practice of the EMT-B shall be in accordance with the most current edition of the US DOT “Emergency Medical Technician: National Standard Curriculum”, as modified by the NYS DOH and NYC REMAC.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Conducts a careful examination of the patient for signs and symptoms of illness/injury and assists other medical personnel as necessary.
- Provides prompt and efficient care of the patient and stabilization of their condition prior to transport.
- Provides careful handling of the patient in moving them to the ambulance.
- Provides safe and efficient transport of the patient while constantly monitoring the patient and providing any appropriate continuing care.
- Provides orderly transfer of the patient at destination.
- Upon arrival at destination with patient, responsible for preparing all BLS supplies and equipment to place the unit back in service.
- In the absence of other qualified personnel, controls the accident scene, in such a way as to minimize further danger as well as controlling the actions of bystanders.
- Obtains information regarding the emergency from dispatch, communicates with other emergency personnel as needed, and alerting hospital emergency department staff of the arrival of patients.
- Obtains and records information as well as those required by medical, legal, and health authorities. Is responsible for documenting diagnosis/illness categories and completion of all patient care related documents.
- Makes daily checks of the vehicle equipment and systems, and completes manifest; responsible for competent operation of all equipment and systems.
- Reports and relays needed repairs to supervisor.
- Responsible for maintaining NYS DOH certification.
- Administers basic pre-hospital care within the limits of certification and in accordance with approved protocols.
- Attends training as scheduled.
- Does not use professional knowledge and skills in any enterprise detrimental to the company or to the public well-being.
- Respects and holds in confidence all information obtained in the course of professional work unless required by law to divulge such information.
- Responsible for upholding standards of practice and education.
- Adheres to standards of personal ethics, on and off duty, which reflect credit upon the profession.
- Protects the public by not delegating to persons less qualified, any service which requires the professional competence of an EMT-B.
- Refuses to participate in unethical procedures, and assumes the responsibility to expose incompetence or unethical conduct of other to the appropriate authority in a proper and professional manner.
- Performs other duties as required by respective supervisor.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH REQUIRED:
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 250 pounds with assistance from one other qualified individual.
- Must be able to lift and move a 50-75 lb. ambulance stretcher with the help of one qualified individual.
- Must be able to lift a 175 lb. patient (in various positions, i.e., while lying on the floor, the bed, in an automobile, etc.) with the help of one qualified individual onto a stretcher.
- Meet minimum requirements of SCEMS Physical and Physical Assessment Test.
- Must be adaptive to work in all types of weather conditions, including, but not limited to, rain, snow, heat, etc.
- Due to the uncontrolled environment in which the EMT-B works, he/she may be subjected to predisposing themselves to be at risk for:
A. bodily harm
B. exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other potentially infectious materials (OPIM).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Able to drive in normal and adverse conditions.
- Skillful in thinking and acting quickly in stressful situations.
- Able to function around seriously ill or injured people in a responsible manner.
- Able to maintain harmonious relationships with fellow crew members, public safety personnel, and the general public under stressful situations.
- Good knowledge of common physical illnesses, obvious symptoms, and appropriate medical terminology.
- Skillful in the application of BLS emergency care procedures and in the use of all equipment maintained on ambulances.
- Skilled in use of locator aids to find specific locations (maps, directories, etc.).
- Has full knowledge of rules of the road for emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Able to drive in accordance with SeniorCare safety standards. Passes all driver examinations, written, and road tests.
- Avoids driving infractions, on and off duty, in accordance with Company and insurance guidelines.
- Conducts themselves in a professional manner while on duty and avoids inappropriate conduct, on and off duty, that may adversely affect the reputation of SCEMS.
- Able to express self effectively to both medical and lay personnel orally and written in the English language.
- Able to deal sympathetically with patients and others.
- Reflects the standards of professionalism in appearance with neatness and cleanliness.
- Has good working knowledge of all company policies pertaining to this position.
- Complete knowledge of protocols and their applications.
- Is physically fit. Meets all physical requirements for this position.
- Has no physical disability which would prohibit the lifting and carrying of heavy weight.
- Has quick reflexes and superior safe driving ability.
- Has no established medical history or any other medical condition which may interfere with their ability to control and operate a motor vehicle or provide patient care.
- Must be currently NYS DOH certified EMT-B.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Current BCLS certification from AHA.
TITLE: EMT- B
EXEMPTION STATUS: Non-Exempt
SUPERVISED BY: Field Supervisor, Operations Manager